Here you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions about applying, moving in and out, contract and other aspects you might be interested in.
When can I apply for an apartment?
You can apply at any time, but remember: “The sooner, the better” Applications are non-binding. This means that you can apply even if you still have not passed the entrance examination or the final exam.
Do I have to go to a university to apply for an apartment?
You can apply for our STUWO dormitories if you are starting an apprenticeship that requires an entrance examination or a high school diploma. You are also welcome if you are a recent graduate starting a new job or establishing a start-up.
Can students of a HTL, HAK or HASCH also get a dormitory?
In exceptional cases we also consider applications from students from institutions such as HTL, HAK or HASCH. However, we can only do that if you are in the current school year or if you have already reached 18 years of age and have a written permission from your parents.
What happens after I submit my application? Am I on the waiting list?
As soon as we receive your application, we will transfer your data to our administration program. You are already on our waiting list! Once we get all necessary documents (e.g. school attendance certificate, certificate of completion or enrolment confirmation) we will assign you an available apartment or room. Of course, this will happen if we have enough places available. Are you an Erasmus student? Then we also need the letter of admission to the Erasmus program.
How can I reserve an apartment?
You want to stay with us and have already received an offer from us? Once you have signed your contract, sent it back to us and made all the necessary deposits, your apartment will be booked for you!
If you are still not sure whether you are actually moving in, we can keep an apartment available for a period of time for you in one of our student homes for a 90-euro reservation fee. If you decide to move in, you will not be required to pay the 90-euro contract fee, so there will be no extra cost for you if you take the apartment later.
Are the apartments also rented to Erasmus students?
Of course! Erasmus students are also welcome here. After all, our STUWO student homes are a melting pot of nations. Around 4.000 students from over 43 countries live in our dorms. The minimum contract duration for Erasmus students is one semester. We will also need a copy of your admission letter into the Erasmus program.
When do I get a confirmation for an apartment?
Once we receive your application, we will do our best to make you an offer as soon as possible. If no apartment is available in your desired dormitory, it is worth taking a look at our vacancy exchange list.
How can I submit my documents?
You can send your documents by e-mail, fax or post to the following addresses:
+43 1 404 93 678
Triester Straße 40
How often do I have to apply or is it a single application enough?
A single application is enough for your data to be recorded in our system. Therefore, we do not consider multiple applications. Should something change in your application or should you have additional requests, then please let us know by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: When entering the application data, please make sure you enter the correct names of the STUWO dormitories of your choice. We give you several choices and will only accept subsequent changes.
Can I choose several student dorms when applying?
Yes! When applying, you can select several STUWO dormitories at the same time. Unfortunately, it is not always possible for us to fulfill your wishes one hundred percent but we’ll do our best to help you get your favorite dorm.
How do I know if my application and documents have been received?
Have you entered and confirmed your data? If your application has successfully reached our server, you will receive an automatic confirmation. Note that if you submit documents, we will not issue any further acknowledgment. If documents are still missing from the application, we will request them separately.
Who is responsible for the allocation of places?
Our Resident Managers carry out the assignment of the apartments. If you have any questions, you can contact them directly.
What do I have to consider when moving into a STUWO dormitory?
We are happy to welcome you to our dorms! Before moving in, please keep the following information in mind:
- Arrange a move-in date with our resident managers ahead of time. You will receive your key and a small dorm introduction.
- Complete the SEPA mandate for your existing account in the EU and submit it. (Note: If you do not have a bank account in any EU country, including EFTA, you will need to open an account in Austria and set up a SEPA mandate.)
- Please, transfer the first monthly fee, the deposit and the collection fee.
- Please, send all contracts and supporting documents back to us.
- Moving-in is possible during office hours or by appointment with the Resident Managers!
When you get your new apartment, you should bring the following items:
- Own bed linen (bed sheets, pillowcases and blanket)
- Personal tableware and cutlery
- Detergent (washing machines and dryers are available for a fee)
- ATM card with NFC function for the launderette
How is the introduction process when I move in?
Orientation at your new STUWO dormitory will be as follows:
- Touring the respective dormitory
- Signing the inventory list
- Handing over of the key (by our Resident Manager)
- Completing the registration form (this requires the resident manager‘s signature)
What do I have to consider for the SEPA mandate?
The Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) was established on February 1st, 2014. As a result, you need a so-called SEPA direct debit mandate to transfer the monthly user fee which lists us, the STUWO AG, as the payee. You are requested to submit the SEPA direct debit mandate together with our contract.
- Are you from outside the European Union? (EU countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden , Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, United Kingdom and Cyprus)
- Are you from outside EFTA states? (EFTA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland)
- Are you from outside Monaco or San Marino?
- Then you will have to open a bank account in Austria or in one of the countries listed above to process the SEPA direct debit mandate. Please submit the SEPA direct debit mandate to our resident managers no later than one week after moving in.
What is the duration of the lease agreement?
Our leases have a 12-month duration —also for winter and summer semesters. The minimum duration for Erasmus students is one semester. In exceptional cases, we also award guest contracts for a shorter period (for example, during the summer months). Contracts are also terminated when the lessees are not studying (e.g. interns) or are young professionals who have just completed their studies and do not want to commit themselves to a permanent degree.
Are the apartments rented out during the summer months?
Yes! We offer “guest contracts” over the summer months.
Are the apartments rented out daily?
Yes, we also rent our apartments daily. Please, note that prices will vary due to the extra effort involved.
Do I have to pay fees when concluding a contract?
We charge a one-time handling fee of 90 euros when concluding the contract.
What is the deposit I must pay?
Our deposit is a maximum of 700 euros.
Why do I have to pay a deposit?
We use those funds to cover financial claims that we might have against you. This includes, for example, unpaid rents.
What is the cleaning fee when I move out of the dormitory?
For the comprehensive cleaning of your room when you move out, we charge 89 Euros incl. VAT. The cleaning fee is only due once you have moved out.
How can I renew my contract?
Do you already live in one of our dorms? In the spring you will receive a contract renewal form from our resident managers.
How can I cancel my contract after moving-in?
We kindly ask you to notify us in writing. Cancellations are accepted on the last day of the month and require a three-month notice period.
Can I withdraw from my contract before moving-in?
You have already signed the contract, but you do not want to live with us? Please let us know immediately in writing! Your notice period is dependent on the time you notify us in writing of your cancellation. In order to shorten your notice period, we must be notified immediately. We have to deduct the processing fee due to the large organizational effort. As for the other monthly fees, that is contingent on the date of your written notice. Here is an overview of the maximum cancellation fees that may apply:
- If you cancel your contract at least four weeks before the first of the month of the month in which your contract begins, the notice period will be reduced to one month!
Example: Your contract starts on October 1st. You cancel on the 15th of August. Then the cancellation costs amount to a monthly fee plus a processing fee.
- You did not pass the Matura or the Abitur (high school/secondary school final exam) and therefore cannot start your studies? We are very sorry! If you terminate your contract within the last month prior to the start of the contract and send us written proof of your non-commencement of your studies, we charge only one monthly fee plus processing fee.
Example: Your contract starts on July 1st. You quit on the 15th of June because you did not pass your final exam. Then we charge only a monthly fee plus processing fee.
- You terminate the contract for other reasons within the last month prior to the commencement of the contract? Then the notice period is shortened to the last day of the month following the beginning of the contract.
Example: Your contract begins on October 1st. You cancel on September 15th. Your cancellation fees are made up of the first monthly fee as well as the fee for the first following month and the processing fee.
- For all cancellations after the first of the month of the month in which the contract begins, we refer to the provisions 12 StHG (Studentenheimgesetz – Dormitory Act). We treat the proof of non-commencement of a study at the respective place of study immediately with a study termination!
Example: Your contract starts on October 1st. You cancel on October 15th. Term of notice according to contract.
Is there a discount for siblings?
It is possible to wave the deposit which would be charged on the second child. For this, two children financially dependent on their parents must be living in our dorms. A 700-euro deposit is then required for the first child and only a 300-euro deposit is required for the additional sibling.
What do I have to consider when moving out of the dormitory?
It’s a pity you’re leaving our dormitory. When moving out, please remember:
- Submit a written notice in due time and please note the three-month notice period.
- Make a moving-out appointment with our resident managers.
- If you prefer, submit a post order.
Moving out is possible during office hours or by appointment with the corresponding Resident Manager.
When will I receive my deposit after moving out?
You will receive the deposit minus the final cleaning fee after your departure automatically. Since final billing is only possible 56 days after the last payment of the monthly rent (the SEPA directives grant 56 days of appeal), the refund will be made at the earliest date afterwards.
Can I move into a dorm with my child?
As a non-profit company, we also consider students with children. Please inquire about an apartment suitable for you and your child, including a discount!
Is there an age limit for applicants?
There is no age limit.
Are pets allowed in the dorms?
In some of our dormitories your pets are welcome – this is unique in Austria! Pets are allowed in the STUWO dormitory in Dückegasse and SmartLiving in Graz. All other STUWO dormitories do not allow pets.
Is there parking at the dormitories?
At some of our STUWO dormitories we offer low-cost car parking and underground parking. For further information, please contact our Resident Managers.
Did you find what you were looking for?
Contact us for more information!